Smithers invites you to learn from and interact with industry experts from across the supply chains for silicones and thermoplastic elastomers (TPE). Due to COVID-19, this three-day virtual event is replacing the Silicone Elastomers U.S. Summit and Thermoplastic Elastomers U.S. Summit for 2020.
- Week 1: June 24, 2020 – Creating Elastomeric Parts with 3D and 4D Printing
- Week 2: July 1, 2020 – Liquid Silicone Rubber Solutions
- Week 3: July 8, 2020 – Trends in Thermoplastic-Based Materials
Modifying LSR Properties with Third-Stream Additives
During Week 2, Liquid Silicone Rubber Solutions is the topic and RDAbbott’s Rick Ziebell, Vice President of Technology, is one of the technical presenters. Ziebell’s presentation, “Modifying LSR Properties with Third-Stream Additives,” is scheduled for July 1 from 10:00 AM – 10:30 AM.
Ziebell will discuss developing technologies from NovationSi, a key supplier of color dispersions, that feature third-stream solutions with a customized approach. As LSR pumping improves in delivery accuracy, there are opportunities to customize LSR properties in situ of the liquid injection molding process.
Through RDAbbott’s model of applied curiosity for superior technical service, NovationSi is unlocking the potential of LSRs to truly modify the cured article. As part of his technical presentation, Ziebell will describe a method that provides antimicrobial protection to silicone elastomers.
This technical presentation will explain how antimicrobial properties can be enhanced in silicones through broad-spectrum systems that employ treated silica processes to control leachability and provide long-term antimicrobial protection for industrial and medical uses.
Ziebell’s presentation will also highlight these finding from a corresponding study conducted by RDAbbott:
- These broad-spectrum systems obtained prolonged biocidal performance with viral replication suppression that is also effective at reducing the biofilm formation attributed to planktonic bacteria and fungi hyphae (mold).
- A four-log microbial reduction (i.e., 1 in 10,000) is achievable with these modifying additives from NovationSi.
Other LSR additive technologies, such as self-lubrication, foaming, antistatic and modulus (hardness) enhancements, will also be discussed.
To register for this virtual summit, register online at https://www.elastomer-forum.com/silicone-elastomers-us-summit.
If you are interested in becoming an early adopter of these developing third-stream additive technologies, please contact us today.